Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Making the right choice

See my page at www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/therapist/15342

Yesterday I was talking about how many clients did not know what a Corrective (Remedial)massage was capable of. Today I want to begin to look at making a good therapeutic choice, and I want to begin by giving two outstanding anecdotes from my clinic.

The first was a young woman brought to me with bad mid and upper back pain, neck pain and headaches. She had had two years of remedial massage therapy. When I looked at her she was quite bent over forwards and consequently very closed in the chest.

I asked her what her therapist had been working on for the two years, she replied "my sore back" and indicated the upper back and neck area. Given that it was obvious that she had many short muscles in the front of her chest, abdominal and shoulder areas I asked about them and she said no one had ever done anything about them, her therapist only rubbed her back!

I explained to her that rubbing her back was making her worse, and she agreed that she got less and less relief over the two years. I was so sad for her. She knew no better and her therapist was either poorly taught or greedy for all the return business possible, based on giving her a little relief.

Lesson to be learned: The rule of three says that if there is no percievable improvement in a condition from the client point of view, or from the therapist's point of view (and the explanation needs to satisfy the client) AFTER THREE TREATMENTS then that therapy is not correct for that client at that time. The therapist needs to change methods or refer the client to someone who can help based on their knowledge of the client.

The only exception is certain conditions such as diseases or other long term degenerative conditions - these may need ongoing help.

That is how I try to keep honest and sharp. Fair enough too, as long as the client takes their responsibility in the process (doing home stretches or avoiding aggravating activities).

Always ask your therapist how they see treatment progressing and get an answer that sits well with YOU.

Tomorrow I will look at therapists who do not have enough time.

No comments: